It's Elemental: Enhancing Career Success for Women in the Chemical Industry,
written by Judy Giordan, Ruth Fassinger, Julie Arseneau, Jill Paquin
and Heather Walton, features the findings from Project ENHANCE, a grant
funded by the National Science Foundation to the University of
Project ENHANCE was a 3-year study developed to:
- Document and analyze the career paths and experiences of women formally trained in science and engineering who are working in industrial settings;
- Identify factors that impede or facilitate the careers of women formally trained as scientists and engineers;
- Identify and share effective corporate practices, as articulated by women and management, aimed at the recruitment, retention, and promotion of women formally trained in science and engineering who are working in industrial settings.
Project ENHANCE data revealed five arenas that were found to be critical to women’s optimal career development:
- Success and Advancement;
- Workplace Support and Climate;
- Home-Work Intersection; and
- Company Initiatives.